Wednesday, October 21, 2009

CAKE-ING :)

For the past couple months (basically since my parents decided to learn to cake decorating so they could make my cake instead of buying one) I have been obsessed with learning how myself. I wanted to take the classes when we were at BYU but never had the time, so finally I technically have the time but the only classes here are at night and Josh gets home around 630 or 7 (when the classes start) so i would rather just teach myself. I have had the books for a while and have tried a bit but I really just wanted to try fondant so thats what I have done in the past for the most part. However, This week I decided to FINALLY try buttercream decorating!

I went through the book, practiced, and decided I wanted to try everything on a cake! I found a great website with yummy filling recipes so that was part of the reason I wanted to bake a cake as well :) SO this is my cake, it was fun but frustrating! I'll keep practicing and hopefully get better!

This is a devils food chocolate cake with banana cream filling

3 comments:

  1. Jamie and I have talked of taking those classes with each other since our freshman year, but trying to work around one schedule is tough enough, let alone two!
    A suggestion that I have heard for when you are first trying things out is to work on waxed paper so then you can just scoop the frosting up and put it back in the bag...that way you don't have to to use as much frosting and you can retry your mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, i do that. well also i have a practice board that i use where i can scoop it back into the bowl. yeah i've learned lots of little techniques from people and the internet. its been fun.

    ReplyDelete