Monday, December 20, 2010

2 years



2 years ago today, Josh and I were sealed in the Washington DC temple for time and all eternity!
It was the best decision I ever made :)

I never wrote in my journal about that day (shame on me, I know) so I thought I would write down now what I remember :) Warning this will be long!

Josh and I flew out to PA 2 days before our wedding, so the 18th. We had just finished finals and it snowed so hard in Utah we were afraid we wouldn't make it to the airport in Salt Lake from Provo BUT the snow stopped for a short time, right when we needed to drive. Thank you Heavenly Father :)

Josh's sister and brother in law picked us up from the airport. It was my first time meeting them. They gave us our wedding present in the car, it was awkward and funny :) They warned me of what was to come when we got to the house. Everyone would be sleeping (it was around midnight when we got there) but Mom wanted to be woken up. They warned me that the family was loud and crazy and would probably not stop questioning me because I was new. So i was warned but I really had no idea what I was getting myself into.

We got to the house and walked inside. Josh's mom was there waiting for us. We sat down at the table and talked for a little while and soon the whole family was down stairs talking. It stayed kind of quiet, at least for them but I was still a little overwhelmed and didn't talk as much as I usually would.

The next day we watched a movie, Mom and Jenn started working on the wedding cake and my parents flew in from California. The boys got in lots of boy fighting time and video games. We went to bed early (Not that anyone really slept because of the anticipation, but we tried) knowing we would be waking up early to drive to the temple to get married.

We woke up, I woke up about an hour or so earlier than everyone else so I could do my hair and all of that! I brought all of my stuff with me. Josh's dad showed up to drive us all in the big van to the temple and my parents and Jenn and Mark followed in their own cars. There had been ice warnings going on for days there. Everything was frozen over. One of my favorite things there were the ice trees. I'd never seen them before but what the warning meant for us was that the only people who would be going to the temple with us were our immediate families. As we pulled out of the driveway the van slid on the ice in the road, swerved and then finally got a grip again. I was a bit scared after that, we prayed we would make it there safely.

After the 2+ hour drive there we got out and went into the temple while Josh's Dad and my parents and all the siblings besides Jenn and Mark stayed outside and went to the visitors center.

Josh's mom, Jenn, Mark, and Josh and I went into the temple. We talked with the temple Matron and made sure all of our legal stuff was taken care of. We then went and changed into what we would be married in. Josh was waiting at the door for me and we walked hand in hand to our sealing room, the smallest and most intimate of them all and were sealed for time and all eternity. It was a beautiful experience and very spiritual. We were given guidance and advice for us to live a better, happier life. We then went into the celestial room where we could be in a quiet and peaceful place together, where it is easy to feel the spirit of God. After spending some time in there we went to the changing rooms again. I changed into my wedding dress and got "reready" fixing up my make up and hair. After I was ready, Josh was waiting for me at the door, it was so nice to feel so beautiful and see his face light up when he saw me for the first time :)

We walked out of the temple doors and Josh did his "golasso" pose. He is so..him :) We started taking pictures and hugging family. It was great to see my mom after that, to let her know how special this experience was and how grateful I was that she was there on the temple grounds when I was sealed. After we left we went to wendy's on the way back to the church for our reception, we had only a short time so fast food it was. We drove with mark and jenn most of the way and then my parents started falling asleep so we took over their car :) We got to the reception after almost everyone had already arrived, had to change into our wedding stuff and get out there fast for a short ring ceremony. It was a fun reception and very relaxed. I got to meet many of Josh's high school friends and had fun dancing and enjoying my first few hours as the new Mrs. Joshua GodfreyI'll do our CA reception and ring ceremony another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment